Uttarakhand economy has been classified as agricultural, industrial and service based

Uttarakhand, the “northern land” of India, is situated in the northern part of the country. Always addressed as the “Devbhoomi” implying the cultural and religious importance of the state in Hindu divinity. The state has rich natural environmental areas- Himalayas bordering the state and engulfing the Bhabar and Terai regions, the state is a mystic land.it shares the international borders with the Tibet Autonomous region of China at the north and shares the east border with Sudurpaschim Pradesh of Nepal. It also shares the interstate borders with Himachal Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. With a total area of 53,483 km sq, ranking 19th in the list of land areas.

Out of the total geographical area of the state that is 5.35 million ha, 86% that is 4.6 million ha is the hilly area, and the rest 14% that is 0.74 million ha is plain area. If we take a further dive into the stats only 14% of the land area out of the total is cultivable. With a very suitable nature and topographical advantage the area scores higher rates for horticulture, organic farming and off season vegetable cultivation. Uttarakhand is listed among the National Agro Climatic zone no. -9 and 14.

Agriculture takes a lead over the economy being a predominant sector, contributing around 23.4% State Domestic Product (GDP). The agricultural sector depends upon rainfall for irrigation, with net Irrigated area in the state being 3.45 lakh ha. Out of which 85.83% is in plains and 14.17% is in hills. The irrigation intensity in the state is 159% which varies between 155% in plains to 184% in hilly region. With a population dependency over agriculture being 75-80% the state remains primarily an agricultural state. A basic period is followed in farming regions, the plain region promotes commercial agricultural activities and the hilly region is dominated by subsistence farming.

The state government is promoting various products that should be produced into the state to stabilize the recent decline that has arrived in the agricultural sector. Items like basmati rice, aromatic and medicinal plants, vegetable and flower cultivation, litchi production and milk production. While the major crops of the state are- rice, wheat, sugarcane, maize, soybean, pulses and oilseeds. The vegetables that are highly popular in the state for cultivation are-Potato, tomato, green pea, cauliflower and capsicum and fruits are-Mango, litchi, guava, apricot etc.

Project : PKVY
Location : Uttarakhand
Districts Covered : 4
Cluster Covered : 237
Farmers Registered : 10838
Area Covered (ha) : 4832.25
Project : Namami Gange
Location : Uttarakhand
Districts Covered : 3
Cluster Covered : 500
Farmers Registered : 18937
Area Covered (ha) : 10016.77
Project : CAP
Location : Uttarakhand
Districts Covered : 1
Cluster Covered : 17
Farmers Registered : 787
Area Covered (ha) : 341.74
Project : Implementation of Organic farming under Model Organic cluster as per PKVY guidelines
Location : Uttarakhand
Districts Covered : 4
Cluster Covered : 45
Farmers Registered : 1953
Area Covered (ha) : 959.27
Uttarakhand -Towards Organic Agriculture
Our motive behind organic farming is to make farming sustainable in the state where people have small land holdings